In the integrated version of IQWST, each of the 12 modules integrates at least two disciplines: Physics, Chemistry, Life Science, Earth Science, and/or Engineering Design. At IQWST’s foundation is the latest research on how students learn and how they learn science in particular, the very research on which the Framework for K–12 Science Education and the Next Generation Science Standards are also based. At its core, IQWST engages students in scientific practices as they experience, investigate, model, and explain phenomena while learning core ideas and engaging in concepts that cross disciplinary boundaries. Students build understanding by connecting ideas from lesson to lesson, from module to module, and across the middle grades.
Approved by the California Department of Education (CDE) for adoption and implementation in California schools
Integrated Design, Phenomena-Driven
- Addresses all CA NGSS standards according to grade-level expectations for 6-8
- Meets the Integrated Model criteria from the California Department of Education.
- Engages students in three-dimensional learning as they
- experience, investigate, model, and explain interesting phenomena.
- learn core ideas.
- engage with concepts that cross disciplinary boundaries.
- Students’ original questions are elicited by an anchoring phenomenon and drive the storyline.
- Students strive to find answers to authentic questions that motivate learning across time.
- Students’ diverse, everyday experiences are interwoven into every lesson.
- Small-group and whole-group discussion are central to every investigation.
- A Driving Question Board™ and Word Wall give students multiple opportunities use the language of science and to track their learning visually.
This list is compiled annually through our web surveys, internet research, and phone interviews with California school districts.